Sustainable Agriculture & data science coordinator
Join a local start-up invested in sustainable agriculture
Location: Fairagora Asia - Bangkok office & potential travels in Thailand or SEA countries.
Starting Date: January 2023
Fairagora Asia (www.fairagora.com) is a Bangkok-based consultancy firm supporting agricultural operators on either certification process or on their journey towards sustainability improvement. We collect production, environmental and social data with farms and processing plants to provide risk mapping and to assess the priorities for improvement areas. We then conduct workshops and provide training to the farmers.
One of our biggest projects is with Nestle and aims at reducing the carbon footprint of sugarcane farms in Nestle supply chain while improving social conditions. We have built a carbon footprint calculator that we want to keep improving. We plan to run different scenarios with the model to assess the most effective mitigation activities. Most of our interventions within this project focus on regenerative agriculture topics. The employee would benefit from a unique exposure to the key sustainability issues in Southeast Asia food and agro supply chain, working on environmental and social compliance and contributing to the discussion in a proactive way.
The employee will be based in Bangkok and will be responsible for the timely deliverable of Fairagora projects. He will mostly work on sustainability-specific projects in the sugarcane sector and will also contribute to other Fairagora projects in other commodities as per Fairagora Asia clients’ needs. The work can be related to sustainable standards and certification advisory services (BONSUCRO, FairTrade, ASC, AIP, BAP, SRP, Organic regulation, etc.) or to Fairagora own set of social and environmental metrics.
2. Major Functions
2.1 Support Fairagora daily activities:
Identify supply chain short-term and long-term needs for compliance and incentives towards sustainability;
Strategize and articulate supply chain needs to develop data collection and data analysis tools in direct relation to industry requirements, more specifically for sugar cane, rice, and aquaculture;
Participate in networking events and online conferences to promote Fairagora’s expertise;
Coordinate the activities related to Fairagora projects such as farmers’ training and support, workshops organization, survey design, etc.
2.2 Provide support to improve general documentation and internal expertise
Review existing publications on production monitoring for sustainability, encompassing social and environmental dimensions;
Prepare technical reports and information for incorporation in the Database or other related information system pieces as will be required;
Conduct literature reviews on various topics required for Fairagora projects and write articles for the Fairagora website.
2.3 Data Science: Social and environmental metrics and algorithms
Understand the different standards and the need for data analysis to assess the level of compliance;
Participate in the selection and adjustment of the metrics chosen to monitor the environmental and social performances of the farms;
Propose improvements to the data collection tools based on the algorithms and models requirements
Develop technical reports & dashboard;
Maintain and keep improving the existing social algorithms and environmental algorithms;
Maintain and keep improving the carbon footprint R model for sugar cane farms.
2.4 Support FairAgora marketing and communication strategy
Help with the preparation of business reports;
Participate and support competition and start-up pitch entries for funds, grants and investors;
Write social media posts following Fairagora communication strategy guidelines and use Sendible;
Support Fairagora business development through efficient networking and commercial presentations.
2.5 Support Fairagora project management
Supervise the overall organization of the work at the office: reassess the priorities and provide continuous follow-up on all projects’ deliverables;
Contribute to the recruitment and supervision of international interns;
Support Fairagora team members in their work organization and push for continuous improvement;
Report directly to Fairagora country manager for continuous updates on the needs of the team and on the projects’ progress;
Maintain a happy and motivating workplace, and ensure a strong unity in the team.
● University degree in a field related to agriculture, aquaculture, and or data science;
● Experience in data mining and use of R preferred (or ability to learn);
● Field experience in the agricultural or aquaculture sector will be an asset;
● Strong interest to work in a start-up environment with a horizontal management style;
● Strong interest in sustainability impact, and social and environmental issues in agriculture;
● Interest in working in a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment (Government, NGO’s, Donors, Civil Society);
● Strong skills in project planning, financing, management, implementation, and evaluation;
● Excellent English communication skills (oral and written);
● Local language of Fairagora implementation countries would be an advantage (Thai, Vietnamese, Bahasa, Pilipino);
● Ability to work independently and to be proactive;
● Ability to work in a team and stimulate good teamwork;
● Excellent problem-solving skills;
● Natural leadership skills;
● Excellent interpersonal skills: assertive communication, strong empathy, ability to adjust one’s behavior and communication to different cultural and educational backgrounds, and ability to adapt and develop strong relationships at all levels.
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organizational needs.
4- Conditions of Employment
● Based in Bangkok (Asok)
● Working schedule: 5 days per week, 8h per day. In case of fieldwork, these schedules are flexible/adjustable.
● Local holidays: Adjusted to the Thai calendar (14 days per year)
● Working Holidays: 15 per year
● Report to Fairagora Country Manager/ Fairagora Director on a weekly basis
To be provided by FairAgora Asia Co. Ltd
● Salary: 50,000 THB/month
● Public transport allowance for Bangkok (1,000THB/month)
● Travel cost for regional projects (eg. field trips, conferences)
● Work permit and visa fees
● Travel to Bangkok / expatriation costs
Thailand Country Manager firstname.lastname@example.org (send CV and cover letter)
CEO - Founder email@example.com (cc in the email)
CTO - Co-founder firstname.lastname@example.org (cc in the email)
Address: 213/10 Asoke Tower, 5 Floor Soi Sukhumvit 21 (Asoke), Klong Toey Nuea, Wattana, Bangkok 10110, Thailand
See you very soon !